US Law Shield, also called U.S. & Texas Law Shield, is not just another insurance company. The company is a pioneer in the legal defense industry and pride themselves on being there night and day to provide you with peace of mind if you shoot an intruder in your home – or protect yourself while conceal carrying.
As you are know, lawsuits and legal defenses can lead to bankruptcy even if you’re in the legal right to fire.
US Law Shield helps absorb these costs so that you can sleep well at night knowing that if you use your firearm for defense, you’ll be able to pay your bills, remain in your home and not lose your livelihood.
What is US Law Shield?
US Law Shield is a legal defense membership program offering the following options:
- Single Adult – $10.95/month
- Single Adult – $131.40/annually
- Two Adults – $21.90/month
- Two Adult – $240.00/annually
There’s a one-time cost of $19.95 per member to start up with the program.
Considered the first self-defense membership program in the United States, the membership protects your use of a lawful weapon or firearm when trying to defend:
As a member of US Law Shield, you gain access to the following:
24/7/365 Emergency Hotline which is an exclusive hotline for all members that allows you to call the number on the back of your membership card night or day. As a member, you’ll receive priority call answering that is available even on holidays. The emergency hotline is always answered by lawyers who can assist with any self-defense issue that you may have.
Non-emergency Hotline which is the number you’ll want to call if you have questions that are not dire. Your call is handled by an attorney who is part of the Independent Program. Emergency and non-emergency calls are always part of the Independent Program for added safety and convenience.
Educational Materials that include exclusive media and education materials. You’ll gain access to member stories, newsletters, gun law updates in your state and access to the Defender Reports media library. Self-defense often starts with education, and these resources are invaluable for members.
- A member hotline where you can receive attorney-answered questions 24/7
- Discounts on
- LTC classes
- Range time
- Gunsmithing services
- No caps, limits or deductibles for attorney fees
- Legal representation for civil and criminal proceedings
- Access to member seminars
US Law Shield offers member seminars to all members, and these seminars will provide face-to-face access to:
- Experts in self-defense laws
Seminars allow all members to have access to some of the industry’s leading minds, enabling you to educate yourself on gun and firearm laws.
When you’re a member of the team, you’re covered for all legal representation, which will also include all police investigations, court and pretrial proceedings. There is also non-emergency access to independent attorneys.
Coverage options also exist even if you don’t have a state-issued permit to carry.
The program offers coverage everywhere you go as long as you can legally possess a firearm without a license. All other legal weapons are covered, and there is a multi-state coverage option as an add-on to provide additional coverage.
Items that are not included as part of your membership include:
- Expert witness fees
- Government fees
- Stolen firearms
- Investigator fees
- Bail bonds
- Identity theft
Add-ons are offered with an additional charge on a monthly or annual basis. The annual basis is the cheapest option.
Popular add-ons offered by US Law Shield include:
- Gun owner identity theft coverage
- Multi-state protection
- Minor children
- Hunter shield
- Bail bond and expert witness coverage
- Gunowner Identity Theft Coverage can be added to each member’s coverage and will provide you with legal defense if your right to carry, name or identity are ever compromised. The Independent Program Attorney program, the same offered in the core membership, will provide representation in this case, too. Coverage not only covers the current firearms you own, but will also cover any future firearms that you own.
- Multi-State Protection is a great option if you venture out of the state often or plan to conceal carry outside of your state. Multi-state protection is priced very low per month and provides coverage for all 50 states in the country. You also gain coverage in Puerto Rico and Washington D.C.
- Bail Bond and Expert Witness is an add-on that I highly recommend because it may mean the difference between awaiting trial in prison or from the comfort of your home. This add-on also provides expert witness services which are going to strengthen your defense and help you overcome your legal troubles. The protection provides up to $50,000 in bail.
- Minor Children coverage is a great option if you have minors in your home. The coverage provides the same great benefits to all minors in the home at less than the cost of a coffee for the entire month. I know a lot of parents that teach their children self-defense and also teach them how to hunt. Teens, especially, may grab a gun to protect their family. Extending coverage to the minors in your home is highly advised if they’re old enough to use a firearm.
- HunterShield is the go-to option for anyone that hunts or fishes often. Complex hunting laws can leave you in jeopardy when you’re out in nature trying to hunt for your family. The coverage is an addition to your core memberships and adds hunting accidents to your coverage. This add-on is on a per-person basis.
When using your benefits, you’ll be able to have all of your court proceedings covered. You’ll be able to have the appeals process covered as well as a mistrial, too. Members are allowed to cancel their membership at any time.
All adults in the household will need to have their own policy so that they’re covered under the program’s guidelines.
You do not need to shoot to be covered either. Members that show their firearm to stop an altercation will also have their legal costs covered. You can use any legal weapon as a tool to threaten someone in self-defense, and this would be considered acceptable use.
One of the things that stuck out when reading through US Law Shield reviews was how well outlined the seminars and courses are. There was one course on first-aid that can be utilized when someone is shot.
This is vital information, and if you really want to leverage your membership, you’ll need to attend the seminars that are offered.
US Law Shield vs USCCA
USCCA and US Law Shield are very different in both price and coverage options. USCCA has three tiers ranging from $22 per month to $47 per month, with annual options that drop the price per month significantly.
USCCA and US Law Shield also have quite a bit in common, but with USCCA, you’ll notice the following differences:
- USCCA offers their own subscription magazine with access to past issues.
- Education is offered, and there are even CCW alerts to notify you when you’re entering over state borders where concealed carry may not be legal.
- Training is provided weekly with an extensive video library.
- Civil defense and damages coverage range from $500,000 to $2 million.
- Bail bond funding and attorney retainer coverage ranges from $100,000 to $250,000.
- Upfront funding for bail bonds.
While there is a cap on the amount of money that can be spent on a member’s legal defense with USCCA, you have access to a network or attorneys and you can choose the attorney you like best. Bail bond coverage is another nice perk and will allow members to maintain their normal lifestyle, even if they’re pending a trial or investigation.
US Law Shield vs CCW Safe
CCW Safe is another membership program, and there are multiple membership tiers that range from $149 a month to $499. When you choose the highest tier, the program offers up to $1 million in bond coverage and $1 million in civil damages.
There is no cap in place for civil or criminal defense, and the entire family is covered in the home.
Investigator fees are also offered under the plan as well as crime scene clean up (up to $3,000) and even up to $350 a day for lost wages while being out of work during the trial. There are limits in place with the program, but the coverage levels are higher than US Law Shield. The higher limits do come at a much higher cost.
US Law Shield FAQs
When signing up for any firearm protection plan, your best bet is to ask a lot of questions. Plans vary greatly from one company to the next, and since insurance in the industry isn’t standardized, there are a lot of companies that sell plans that don’t provide enough protection.
Can you cancel your membership?
Situations change, and you’re free to cancel your membership at any time. When you cancel, you will have the membership fees prorated and returned to you. This is a great option for anyone moving out of the country, deciding not to have coverage or someone who is selling their firearm.
Am I Covered With a Rifle or Shotgun?
Yes. Any legal weapon is fully covered. Weapons that are illegal are not covered. If the weapon that you use in self-defense is 100% legal, you can be confident that as a member, you will have coverage for your legal bills.
Are Appeals or Retrials Covered?
If your case goes to appeals or a retrial, you’ll also be covered. The coverage will extend until your case is closed. You can ask for the service to provide an appeal on your behalf, but the appeal cannot be frivolous in nature or in any way done in bad faith.
Otherwise, US Law Shield will proceed through the appeals process in an effort to regain you your freedom.
US Law Shield provides peace of mind for anyone that conceal carries or anyone that knows that they’ll do everything in their power to protect their home or family. Self-defense is not always clear cut, and even if you were acting in pure self-defense, you need a company like US Law Shield to protect your rights.
US Law Shield is an overall good program, offering much of the introductory coverage that any firearm holder will want if they use their weapon as a deterrent or choose to shoot. USCCA and CCW Safe both offer comprehensive plans with greater coverage options, but the plans are slightly higher in price to make up for the added coverage.
In the end, your specific needs and coverage options will determine which is the “best” insurance plan for you and your family.
The key is to get some type of protection in place before you need it.
Thousands of people are happy with the coverage offered through US & Texas Law Shield, and if you take advantage of the seminars, you’ll be able to benefit from your membership even more.